Not sure what to cook with the canned salmon you receive as a breastfeeding mom? Try this hearty, easy recipe. It's filled with veggies, and the salmon provides protein and omega-3 fatty acids your body needs whole you're breastfeeding!
|Photo by Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters|
Recipe by: Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
Serves: 9, 1/9 of recipe per serving
- 2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 medium green onions*
- 1 (14½-ounce) can pink salmon oin water*
- 1 cup frozen peas*
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons dried dill or dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil the pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander. Run under water until cool to the touch, to keep noodles from sticking together.
- Rinse and finely chop green onions.
- Drain canned salmon. In a large bowl, mix salmon (crush small bones with fingers- they provide lots of calcium!), pasta, green onions, peas, yogurt, dill or parsley, salt, and black pepper.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over pasta mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes, until bubbling and golden.