Recipe by: Suleyka Davila
Serves: 4 – 6
Total Time: 65 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced*
- 3 garlic cloves minced*
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp tomato paste*
- 2 stalks of celery finely diced*
- 1 carrot finely diced*
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley*
- 1 ½ cup lentils*
- ½ tbsp of Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Heat large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Sauté onions for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add tomato paste to onion (be careful not to burn the tomato paste). Add garlic, celery, carrot, bay leaves and parsley. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add lentils, 2 quarts water and ½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender, about 25 – 35 minutes. Stir in mustard and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves.